Tuesday 28 January 2014

DIY make-up storage!

When it comes to organisation I tend to either be great or completely awful, for example I am one of those 'last minute' types of people when I comes to things I don't enjoy (and I don't need to expand on what things I leave to last minute, I'm pretty sure there are lots of us 'last minuters' out there! 

However I love organising things in my room to make it feel girly, especially my room at university. I'm not one to get home sick but I like to feel comfortable and feel at home wherever I am. When I moved into a shared house at university it was my first chance to experiment with decorating (but without painting etc) with little keep sakes, photo frames, bunting and other bits and pieces to make my room feel homely and a place I want to spend a lot of my time in, and all of you university goers will know you spend a ridiculous amount of time just in your room of your halls or within a shared house, like me. 

So I've been home for a while after Christmas and had been browsing online at Muji and other sites or some form of organisation for my make up, that isn't as boring and unglamorous as using Chinese pots. I'm a bit of a hoarder when it comes to boxes from perfume sets and various other gift sets which is where  the idea came to me.. I can make my own, unique, storage from boxes that do have a little meaning behind them and what I mean by that is I find gift sets, especially perfume sets, are such a sweet and quite sentimental gifts to give and receive so by reusing the boxes it gives it more meaning to me. Okay, so you all must be thinking what a wierdo finding a box sentimental, but it just makes it unique to me. 


But anyway above shows you the finished organiser with the make up I have with me and for my make up and I'll break down what I used to create this below. 


The base for this came from a BOSS Orange perfume gift set which came in this gorgeous silver, slightly mirrored box which I simply stuck together with double sided tape in which to create two large sections. 


Within this I used an old cotton bud box for lipsticks/balms, an old iPod Classic box with the lid in one side and the bottom in the other, the lid to my iPhone box and lastly an empty, clean candle glass which I have some of my make up brushes in. To make it all glow together and look like it's meant to be put together I had considered painting all of the boxes one colour but I can't bring myself to cover the gorgeous silver box nor can I find any nice silver paint that isn't too metalic or just flat in colour. 

I just thought someone might read this and want to do one themselves or it might give someone else a use for their old boxes, or even old cereal and snack boxes. I just love making bits and pieces and saving money because like most students I'm skint *sad face* haha! 


Xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment